The MSF Basic eCourse is a perfect fit for:
- New riders preparing to take the hands-on MSF Basic RiderCourse, the “gold standard” in motorcycle safety training with over 7 million student rider graduates since 1974.
- Potential riders considering motorcycling as a hobby, sport or for personal transportation.
- Experienced riders looking to refresh their motorcycling skill set and overall knowledge.
- Anyone interested in learning more about motorcycles.
The MSF Basic eCourse is NOT:
- The MSF Basic eCourse is NOT endorsed by any state department of motor vehicles (DMV) as a license waiver program, a license to ride a motorcycle, or a learner's permit.
- The MSF Basic eCourse is NOT a hands-on course. The curriculum is designed primarily to prepare you for the hands-on MSF Basic RiderCourse which includes in-depth classroom activities, learning assessments and hands-on application of concepts to riding exercises on a closed-course range.
MSF Basic eCourse Description:
The Motorcycle Safety Foundation Basic eCourse is a highly interactive online program that provides riders of all skill levels with the basics of motorcycling. With integrated graphics, photos and video to help better illustrate the lessons, the $19.99 program is designed to allow you to control the pace of your learning.
Taking the MSF Basic eCourse is as easy and convenient as powering up your home computer or laptop. Students can choose when and where to take the course, which saves valuable time and money. And like all MSF training programs, the Basic eCourse promotes lifelong learning. Once you create an account you can retake the course whenever you want a refresher.
Perhaps most importantly, the MSF Basic eCourse serves as an introductory check for anyone interested in riding a motorcycle. It helps you determine whether motorcycling is actually a good personal fit. Although it’s a key component of the MSF’s hands-on Basic RiderCourse 2014 update, it can be completed as an introductory stand-alone program without enrolling in the hands-on course.
About the MSF Basic eCourse:
The MSF Basic eCourse focuses on the basic concepts of motorcycling. From identifying a motorcycle’s controls to explaining how they work, the course also details a motorcycle’s basic operation, prepares a student to ride, provides strategies for common riding situations and more. Additionally, the eCourse outlines key safety concepts to promote responsible riding and risk-reducing behavior.
The MSF Basic eCourse allows you to set your own pace of learning. You can bookmark where you left off and come back at a later time. And you can repeat segments you want to go back to and review or for reinforcement. Throughout the highly interactive course, self-assessment exercises allow you to rate your overall rider readiness. Finally, the MSF Basic eCourse makes students aware of the risks as well as the joys of being a motorcyclist.
MSF Basic eCourse Outline
The MSF Basic eCourse includes 12 sections that follow the content in the MSF Rider Handbook:
- Course Introduction
- Motorcycle Types
- Controls, Indicators and Equipment
- About Basic Operation
- Preparing to Ride
- Risk and Riding
- Basic Street Strategies
- Strategies for Common Riding Situations
- Basics for Emergencies
- Special Riding Situations
- Rider Impairments
- State/Local Laws
- Key Safety Steps
- Knowledge Test
- Next Steps
- Preparation for Hands-On MSF Basic RiderCourse
Minimum System Requirements
- Internet Explorer 7.0 or newer
- Firefox 3.5 or newer
- Google Chrome
- Safari 2.0 or newer
- Broadband connection highly recommended
- Flash-supported browser